Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Chipotle Black Bean Soup

Monday, November 22, 2010

Chipotle Black Bean Soup

Adapted from recipe from Goya.

Makes eight 1-cup servings.

One serving with dollop of non-fat Greek yogurt.

Tiffany and I realize that we weren't consuming enough legumes in our diet these past few days.  We've been doing excellent on the rice, vegetables, and fruits but lacking on legumes.  So, it was time to make some Chipotle Black Bean Soup.

The basic difference between Goya's recipe and mine?  Sssh... I didn't use Goya brand.  Also used 2 chipotles instead of 1 because Tiffany and I like really spicy food.  Goya recommends olive oil and I used coconut oil and I only had red onion on-hand, not yellow onion.  Oh yeah!  Almost forgot... I added the frozen corn and cocoa powder.  Dunno whether you've ever added cocoa powder to a spicy dish (like chili).  It does something magical to the pepper flavor!

Ingredients:
  • 3 cans (15.5 oz) black beans, divided
  • 2 chipotles, plus 2 tsp sauce from 1 can Chipotle Chiles in Adobe Sauce
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 Tbsp organic 100% coconut oil
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 cup frozen yellow corn
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 3/4 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup fat-free Greek style yogurt
Directions:
  1. In bowl of blender, add 1 can of black beans, chipotles and broth.  Puree until smooth, about 30 seconds; set aside.
  2. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.  Add onions and peppers; cook until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add garlic and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.  Add reserved black bean puree, remaining black beans and cocoa powder; bring mixture  to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens and flavors come together, about 10 minutes.
  3. Divide soup evenly among 8 serving bowls.  Top with a dollop of yogurt.
Sauteing onions and pepper in coconut oil.

Early stage of cooking before thickening.

The verdict my friends?  No, it's not as good as it looks.  It's even better!  :)  Delicious, spicy and hearty.  Hey!  Look at the calories.  (Gawd I love pointing that out!)

Nutrition per serving (1 cup).

Hi-dee hi-dee delicious & nutritious soup-ho my friends!

Print Recipe

4 comments:

  1. I have made this and it's yummy indeed. Walmart and sometimes Stop & Shop here in New England has the canned black beans at a fraction of the Goya prices. Make sure you buy the South American style black beans and not the Italian style. It doesn't turn out the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback Sussi! Here in the South, Hispanic foods are quite often much cheaper than their domestic counterparts. I buy my Goya beans (black beans & chickpeas) in bulk from the local Costco warehouse club.

    Again, thanks for the feedback and thank you for the tip. It's nice to know that people are reading some of my 225 blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat a lot of meat either. Always looking for something good and I am now making your black bean soup for the 2nd time. Definitely a hit. I don't do a lot with bell peppers so I left them out. I may have overdone it with the chipotles this time... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback Sussi. "not a vegetarian" and "don't eat a lot of meat" reminds me of us (Tiffany and I) back in October 2010 when we celebrated World Vegetarian Day and simply stuck with it. For every meat item that I find myself missing, I've experienced countless delicious new vegetarian dishes I might not have otherwise tried.

    ReplyDelete