Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Pennywise Petite Sirah 2009

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wine Tasting - Pennywise Petite Sirah 2009

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of (Petite Shirah) Shiraz into urine?"

Salutations with a scattering of well wishes tossed into the mix!  May you have nothing short of a simply wonderful, healthy and eco- friendly day my friend.

Petite Sirah is a welcome varietal in Chucky & Tiffany's wine cabinet.  If there is such thing as a less-than-spectacular Petite Sirah, it is my quest to find it.  Not that I particularly wish to taste inferior wine, rather I have an excuse to sip many wines along my quest!

Chucky's Point Score:  89
Tiffany's Point Score:  91


Pennywise Petite Sirah 2009

Appellation:  California; 43% Lodi, 38% Paso Robles, and 19% Clarksburg
Grape Varietal(s):  82% Petite Sirah, 8% Tempranillo, 5% Alicante Bouchet, 3% Syrah, and 2% Zinfandel
Price:  $11.99 (or 2 for $22) at Eat More Produce, February 2012
Vintage: 2009
Producer:  The Other Guys
Alcohol:  14.0%

Tasting notes as follows.


Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "Bam! from the onset.  My nose hairs danced for joy in anticipation of delivery to my palate.  My mouth and tongue were not disappointed!  Deep dark fruits heavy in licorice.  Nice tannin delivers mounds of semi-dry flavor.  Wonderful wine!  How can a grape pack such a delicious punch?  A delicious deep dark bold red wine."


Tiffany's Tasting Sheet


Tiffany's Notes:  "Love the deep dark purple color of this wine which delivers a wonderful dark fruitiness on bouquet and palate.  The fruits and spices on the bouquet make me feel like I walked into a bakery!  I love the bold punch of dark fruits on my palate!  This is truly a wine I would jump into the glass and swim around!  Love the smoothness!"



Vintner's Tasting Notes

This is one of those wines that must make other vintner's both mad and crazy.  Yes another extraordinary Petite Sirah introduced into the market at a moderate price point.  Trust me, "Pennywise" on the label is entirely not indicative of what's inside this bottle.

Superb wine and a surprising blend.  It amazes me that The Other Guys winery were able to so perfectly blend so many varietals from so many vineyards into utterly sweet success!  I often find that vintners who mix and match so many grape varietals and terroirs often result in confusing tastes upon the palate.  This selection is no such wine.

Kudos to The Other Guys for the success!  Kudos for Eat More Produce for the price!  Kudos to my sweetheart Tiffany for allowing me to uncork the  bottle!  'Tis a truly wonderful life, indeed.

Hi-dee hi-dee you-had-better-stay-out-of-my-glass-Jeremiah-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment