Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Viña Eguía Rioja Reserva 2007

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wine Tasting - Viña Eguía Rioja Reserva 2007

"People who talk to themselves aren't crazy.  They just happen to be talking to the most intelligent person that they know!"

I shed wishes of good will to you this fine day my friend!  This day shall exist but only once in anyone's lifetime.  Why not make it exceptional?

Since tasting the Marques de Riscal Riojoa Reserva 1998 review the other day, Tiffany & I have had a yearning for another Rioja Reserva.  Guess what we found at our local Costco Warehouse Club this afternoon?  I'll give you some clues.  It was a Tempranillo from Rioja, Spain and it was a Reserva!  "Hot diggity dawg!"

Chucky's Point Score:  94
Tiffany's Point Score:  91

Viña Eguía Rioja Reserva 2007

Appellation:  Elciego, Rioja, Spain
Denominación de Origen Calificada (D.O.C. Qualified designation of origin):  Rijoa
Grape Varietal(s):  100% Tempranillo
Price:  $9.00 at Costco Warehouse Club
Rated:  92 by Wine Enthusiast Magazine, 12/15/2011
Vintage:  2007
Alcohol:  13.5%

Tasting notes as follows.

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "An absolute and unequivocal WOW!  A most wonderfully balanced vino with every aspect of a perfect glass of wine.  The taste on my palate matches aromas on my nose.  I smelled and expected something great and this Rioja delivered. Nice strong tannins, lingering tastes in my mouth and beautiful windows clinging to the side of my glass.  I will be buying more of this wine!"

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "Tannins are a little higher than I normally prefer and this Rioja seems a bit young, but this is a very nice elegant wine.  Love the full fruity bouquet of cherry, which delivers on my palate.  I would like to buy another bottle and keep for a year or two to see how it ages!"

From the label:

"Made from selected Tempranillo grapes from our best vineyards.  After a temperature controlled fermentation, 24 months ageing in American and French oak barrels and final process of bottle maturation in our cellars, we attain this fine and balanced wine.

Bright cherry red in colour.  Displays a deep complexity of ripe red fruits, spices, tobacco and liquorice very well balanced.  Warm, complex and elegant in the palate with a long and velvety aftertaste.  Ideal to serve with all types of meat dishes, stews and matured cheese."

Viña Eguía, Rioja, Spain

If you're looking for an affordable elegant rich red wine, have I got a wine for you!  Tiffany and I were so darned lucky to be walking the isles of Costco and her spotting this vino.  I will agree with Tiffany and shall look forward to buying and ageing another bottle.  Perhaps four or five more years in the bottle?  It's certainly tannin enough to hold up while I struggle and wait to open the next bottle.

Hi-dee hi-dee is-it-me-or-do-they-simply-keep-getting-better-n-better-ho my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment