Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva 1998

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wine Tasting - Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva 1998

"Show me an empty wine bottle and I will show you real estate worth having been occupied."

May you have a tremendously wonderful day!  May the birds sing you a song, may a smile upon a stranger's face bring you warmth within, and may the conclusion of your day bring some fond memories.

O-M-G were Tiffany and I treated to some mighty fine wine this afternoon!  As a going away gift from a peer in my old office I was given the exquisite gift of vino.  Never has a finer Tempranillo from Rioja met our lips and washed our palates.

Chucky's Point Score:  94
Tiffany's Point Score:  95

Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva 1998

Appellation:  Rioja,Spain
Grape Varietal(s):  90% Tempranillo, 10% Graciano and Mazuelo
Rating:  90 points Wine Enthusiast
Price:  Unknown (gift)
Vintage:  1998
Alcohol:  13.0%

Tasting notes as follows.

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "A most perfect storm of a wine.  A Rioja in a class by itself!  From the tawny precursor to the initial whiff on my nose, I knew that I would be in for something special.  This is certainly the 'bring out the best' stuff from the vintner.  Amazing tannins lead to perfect ambiance on my palate. A wine deserving of slow lingering sips. I think that I am going to cry when the bottle is empty!"

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "OMG, WOW!  I'm in pure heaven!  Where do I begin?  As soon as we uncorked this gem the bouquet jumped right out of the bottle bursting with bold cherry aromas!  If I didn't already know what kind of wine this was I would guess a very expensive elegant Bordeaux!  The bouquet definitely delivers on the palate.  The outer rim of this wine in the glass has that lighter more orangy look that is supposed to mean this wine has aged very well.  I've been waiting a long time to discover that on one or our bottles that we opened!  I'm totally in love with this gem!  Thanks <name withheld>!"


Introduction 

Marqués de Riscal Reserva wines are basically made from grapes from tempranillo vines over 15 years’ old, grown in the best clay-limestone soils of the Rioja Alavesa. This variety withstands oak- and bottle ageing well thanks to its good balance of acidity and fine tannin. The Graciano and Mazuelo varieties, whose presence in the blend does not exceed 10%, provide crispness and a lively colour. Fermentation takes place at a controlled temperature of 26ºC and the maceration time is never more than 12 days. Riscal reservas spend around two years in American-oak casks, producing a wine which corresponds to the classic Rioja style: fresh, fine, elegant and very suitable for laying down for many years. Before release for sale it spends a minimum of one year rounding off in the bottle.

Tasting notes 

Cherry-red colour with good robe. Spicy, balsamic aromas of great complexity, with notes of ripe dark berries and light toasted nuances.  On the palate it is full and tasty, with good structure and rounded, elegant tannins.  The finish is long and fresh, with a slight reminder of the fine oak.

I feel so very fortunate to have uncorked this wine!  Had circumstances not been just so I might not have had the pleasure.  So many things had to lineup for this wine to touch my lips.  Having held my prior job.  Having met my peer.  Having decided to submit my resignation and move one.  For my peer to have chosen this wine.  A good wine is fate.  Fate that the vineyard was able to produce the grapes needed to produce the wine.  The time and luck afforded for the grapes to mature so perfectly.  And the effort and trade required to bring it around the world into my wine cabinet.

I shall not embellish upon our tasting sheets.  They're so eerily similar and both attesting to the merits of the wine.  If you can find yourself a bottle you will be amply rewarded for doing so.

Hi-dee hi-dee wines-make-remarkable-gifts-ho my friend.

1 comment:

  1. I got a bottle of this I may try it soon.

    ReplyDelete