Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Sharing Quick, Easy and Healthy

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sharing Quick, Easy and Healthy

"The qualities of an exceptional cook are akin to those of a successful tightrope walker: an abiding passion for the task, courage to go out on a limb and an impeccable sense of balance."
 - Bryan Miller

Hi everybody!  Shove those bad vibes aside, feed that positive energy and go out and have nothing short of a most wonderful day.

Do you like quick meals?  Do you like simple ideals?  Do you like eating healthy?  And do you like absolutely delicious?  Wow... Do I have the blog post for you!  Michele over at The Big Personality of a Little Vegan has recently shared yet another of her most wonderful blog posts, "Homemade Spring Rolls".

Noodles, bean sprout, carrot, basil and vegan scrambled egg

Tiffany and I made them for dinner night before last.  I absolutely cannot wait to do a dinner repeat (tonight).  They are totally amazing!  So simple, so versatile.  We used the following ingredients in ours as it's what we had conveniently on-hand:  pasta noodle, mung bean sprout, shredded carrot, fresh basil leaves, and vegan scrambled egg (tofu recipe).  I can envision countless combinations of ingredients such as cucumber, zucchini, squash, tofu, seitan, tempeh, crushed nut, steamed rice, steamed cauliflower bits, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, fresh cilantro, bamboo sprout, fresh mushroom, etc.  Your mind is your limitation.

And, after you have created that "perfect combination" of ingredients you still aren't done!  This is a most wonderful opportunity to sample and taste-test a plethora of table condiments.  Tiffany and I both favored low-sodium soy sauce with the sweetness of Spring roll sauce.  I also experimented with Sriracha ("rooster"), hot, and hoisin sauces.  I elected to cycle through a multitude of sauces with each bite.  

Pure ecstasy in a roll (and, no... you can't smoke 'em)

Bite off one end, pour in some Lee Kum Kee low-sodium soy sauce, a dab of Sriracha sauce and taking a bite.  Next, how about some LKK soy and Spring roll sauce combined?  And so on, and so on.  As with the ingredient combinations, the sauce combinations are limitless.  Peanut sauce, Sambal Oelek (crushed pepper sauce), Chinese hot mustard, wasabi paste, etc.  Hey! What is hiding in the back of your refrigerator, long-time neglected, and dying to come out onto the dining room table?

Not only has Michele shown us how so simple working with rice wrapper truly is, but she has enlightened me on the perfect preparation.  So... I shall warn you about some of the online and YouTube videos about rice wrappers.  Please be forewarned!  Michele has the perfect method!!!  Instead of soaking the wraps in room temperature water until they're soft and mushy, simply soak them on both sides, hold them above the bowl to drip drain and then lay them onto your work surface.  Doing this allows them to lay in a complete and perfect circle.  By the time you fill them and are ready to roll, they're as soft and pliable as the "other" method.  If you decide go the YouTube route, you will have a very difficult time getting the wraps to lay out flat (see first picture above).

I experienced only but a single unforeseen issue when making the Homemade Spring Rolls.  Finding the Spring Roll wraps was unexpectedly difficult here in the Orlando, Florida area.  I honestly thought that I would find them easily in any grocery store, in the Asian foods section.  This wasn't the case.  I finally gave up and went to our local Asian supermarket to buy my shells.  Luckily, their prices tend to be significantly better than the major grocery store prices for my Asian food needs.

As I finalize writing my blog entry, my mind dances with fond Homemade Spring Roll memories.  The crispness of the mung bean sprout and delicious texture of the cooked pasta when combined with the exotic sauces make my taste bud memory explode in crescendo.  Add the low-calorie health benefits of this meal choice and my stomach yearns for its next serving.

My health-filled and genuine thanks goes to Michelle for sharing her blog.  Winner, winner...Asian dinner!

Hi-dee hi-dee visit-The-Big-Personality-of-a-Little-Vegan-blog-for-more-delicious-ideals-ho my friend.

Recipe

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I love it! Sounds great =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Thank you. Guess what Tiffany and I had for dinner tonight? But, I learned something tonight. I like my spring rolls better with basil than cilantro. I used too much cilantro tonight but they were still delicious. Just not as good as the ones the other night using fresh basil.

    ReplyDelete