Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Grilled Sandwich Wrap - Thanks Green Day Cafe!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Grilled Sandwich Wrap - Thanks Green Day Cafe!

"Annoying the cook will result in smaller portions."
 - Unknown

May your day be truly wonderful and on the verge of spectacular, if not exceeded!

Grilled Sandwich Wrap

Today's blog?  Well ~ I can't entirely take credit.  The true credit behind today's creation must go to those fine folks at the Green Day Cafe.  I know that I've blogged about Green Day Cafe several times in the past but I may not have explained how they prepare their wraps.  Instead of the usual stuffed soft tortilla wrap, they take the extra time to quickly grill it.  The organic veggies inside are always fresh, crisp and cold.  They apparently use an industrial grade panini press.  When I inquired, they told me they primarily use this technique to help hold the tortilla together as the customer consumes it.

Ingredients

In my experience, it's a most delicious twist to the usual wrap.  In addition, I love the textures as I bite my sandwich along its way!  If you look at their menu and the wrap ingredients, it's apparent that each creation is basically an organic & healthy salad inside a grilled flour tortilla shell.  Most delicious, indeed!

Ready to roll

As I sat in the office drudgery today and contemplated what I shall make for dinner tonight, a brilliant ideal sparked inside that little plastic bubble head of mine!  Why can't I make one at home?  After all, I have all of the ingredients handy.  But... How do I grill it without cooking the organic salad greens?  I own a Cuisinart panini grill but it's too hot (efficient).  I'm afraid that it may cook the fresh lettuce and sprouts inside the wrap.


Poor man's panini press

Shazam!  How about "the poor man's panini press"?  Everybody has one.  In fact, you have many within the confines of your kitchen.  Basically, all you need is a good cast iron skillet and something of weight to press the sandwich as it browns.  In this particular application, you don't want it too heavy.  At first I grabbed an aluminum fry pan but it felt too light.  Another smaller cast iron skillet?  No... Too heavy.  I instead used an empty tea kettle.  It had both the perfect weight feel to it and enough bottom surface to efficiently grill my sandwiches.

Ready to slice and serve

Ingredients (per sandwich):
  • 1 10-inch flour tortilla shell
  • 1 Tbsp hummus
  • 1 handful mixed salad greens
  • 1 handful fresh sprouts
  • 1 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese
  • 1 Tbsp dried cranberry
  • 1 Tbsp sunflower seed
  • 1 small raw portabello mushroom
  • Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat cast iron skillet to medium-high.
  2. Lay out 10-inch flour tortilla shell and spread hummus in the center of the wrap.  Sprinkle sunflower seed and cranberries evenly, leaving room for anticipated folds.
  3. Next lay out salad greens and sprouts.
  4. Finally top with blue cheese, sliced mushroom, and optional hot sauce.
  5. Once you have filled the wrap, fold the tortilla in half.
  6. Fold over the ends.
  7. While holding the ends of the tortilla roll the tortilla over. 
  8. Spray non-stick cooking spray on hot skillet, lay tortilla(s) seam side down, and top with medium weighted pan to provide gentle press.  Cook approximately 90-seconds.
  9. Remove from skillet, spray non-grilled side, and return to skillet.
  10. Again top with medium weighted pan and cook an additional 60-seconds.
  11. If too warm when removed from skillet, quickly place in refrigerator or freezer for a couple of minutes to stop warming/cooking.
  12. Slice and serve.  Oh yes... enjoy!
Notes:
  • The order of Steps 1, 2 and 3 above are very important.  If you slightly overcook the wrap, you're effectively cooking everything except the fragile produce items because Steps 1 and 3 provided an insulation barrier.
  • Heating the flour tortilla shell in the microwave for a few seconds will make it more pliable and easier to roll.

    See Step #5
    See Step #6
    See Step #7

    And the result?  Spectacular!  As good as I may find at Green Day Cafe!  No, don't fret Green Day Cafe. We'll continue to visit and patronize you as what you are doing is a wonderful thing.  Running a dinning establish with a tiny eco- footprint and maintaining fast healthy organic food choices.  I will continue to visit over and over again.  I want nothing but total success on your restaurant concept!!!

    Nutrition - per serving/wrap (210- of 352-calories is the tortilla shell)

    Hi-dee hi-dee study-your-dine-out-meals-and-think-recreate-ho my friend!

    4 comments:

    1. Love that poor man's panini press! Brilliant! I'll have to try that sometime soon. The wraps sound over-the-top tasty.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love wraps, and grilling them! George Formans works for me :) I was just reading another post where the author asked if we re-create things at home that we try out in the stores/restaurants! Dont you love making things at home instead of having to buy them? Although going out is nice sometimes too

      ReplyDelete
    3. Making things at home has another very big benefit. I know where the source of ingredients comes from and what it looked like before becoming prepped. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment.
      I liked your blog very much. Sandwich wrap looks fabulous, yummy and mouth watering. Lovely presentation.

      ReplyDelete