Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Thanks For Not Asking Me To Subsidize Carnivores

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thanks For Not Asking Me To Subsidize Carnivores

Hello everyone.  It's been a few days and I really haven't had much to blog about or anything to report.  That is until last night when a thought popped into my little round plastic head.

What do the following dining establishments have in common?
Clue - it's a consumer positive action.

Carrabba's Italian Grill (Pasta Sostanza)
Mimi's Cafe (Mediterranean Chicken Fettuccine )
The Elephant Bar (Bangkok Pad Thai with Vegetables)
Olive Garden Italian Restaurant (Fettuccine Alfredo)


    I suppose it's somewhat subtle because I really never paid attention until a little thought bubble burst within the confines of my skull.  When I walk into a restaurant, make my vegetarian selection, enjoy it, pay for it and exit;  I never questioned whether I am over-charged.  Am I paying for meat that I did not order?  Am I being charged the same as that carnivore who sits at the adjoining table?  He and I have ordered the exact same dish except he wants shrimp.  His wife desires the grilled chicken.  I want neither.


    Note:  Although not specifically noted above, the Mimi's Cafe Mediterranean Chicken Fettuccine sans chicken is $2.50 less.

    I am delighted to report that so far the trend appears to favor consumer equity.  The carnivore is paying extra for his *ugh* meat and I am paying less for the same dish which omits it.  It's truly a win-win-win scenario.

    The carnivore gets his *ugh* meat, I get my vegetarian choice, and kudos to the restaurant for anticipating and accommodating the both of us.

    So ~ The next time you pay for your vegetarian selection why not thank the establishment for accommodating you dining preferences?  Express your appreciation that they offer vegan or vegetarian selections.  Let them know that you are likely to return.  A million little Chucky voices (hehe - I wish I had that many blog readers) can make a loud statement that vegans and vegetarians are out here and that our consumer dollars truly count!

    Hi-dee hi-dee thank-those-who-you-patronize-ho my friends!

    2 comments:

    1. good comment - it is annoying when you ask for meat or seafood to be left off your meal and still pay the same - but like you say, it is not the sort of place I am likely to return to

      ReplyDelete
    2. I feel the exact same way. In fact, I get pissed off when my bf, who very rarely will buy himself beef jerky or something animal-based for our house, doesn't tell me, and I give him half the grocery money. I DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR ANIMALS. Period.

      ReplyDelete