Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Veraz Garnacha 2009

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wine Tasting - Veraz Garnacha 2009

"We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine."

I wish you a most wonderful and pleasant day my friend.  May happiness and prosperity abound.  However, please remember that neither happiness nor prosperity need be measured in gold.  A smile shared can certainly be worth all of the gold in the world.

Oh happy day!  Can life simply get any better?  You walk into a neighborhood produce market to buy some Cabernet Sauvignon, some oat patties, some onion, some whole grain bread and a couple of other staples and you are informed that your order total meets $20 or more.  "You're entitled to one of those bottles of wines over there for free today.", we were informed as the sales clerk pointed at the display.  I think that my little plastic tennis shoes burned rubber as I scurried across Eat More Produce to grab that bottle of Garnacha!

Chucky's Point Score:  86
Tiffany's Point Score:  89

Veraz Garnacha 2009

Grape Varietal(s):  100% Garnacha
Rating:  88 points (2009) Wine-Searcher, 87 points (2008) Wine Enthusiast
Price:  $0 at Eat More Produce in March 2012 (with $20 purchase)
Vintage: 2009
Producer:  Veraz
Alcohol:  14.0%

Tasting notes as follows.

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "The first thing that I observed after swirling my glass is how quickly the windows dissipate.  Very nice floral and cherry on the nose followed by surprisingly bold red tastes on my palate.  At first it appears like a light bodied wine on my tongue but then big bold red fruits quickly grab and do not readily let go.  A truly wonderful wine.  I might go back to Eat More Produce and buy some more bottles.  Lucky, lucky me!"

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "It's been so long since I've had a Garnacha that I can't remember the style.  I love the tart cherry apple taste along with the cinnamon finish.  This is a wonderful value and a perfect everyday wine to keep on hand!  Even Eat More Produce's lower-end wines always come through for me!"

From the label:

This wine was produced from old-vine Garnacha grapes cultivated on chalky ans sandy soils.  Dark cherry red colour with violet hues.  Intense blackberry and raspberry fruity aromas, and well-balanced acidity.  The wine is soft and persistent on the palate.

We may have been given free wine but  by no means whatsoever was it anything less than superior.  Neither Andy nor Troy were around when we shopped today therefore I was unable to inquire how this sort of deal came about.  However, since it's not inferior wine I'm venturing to guess that the vintner made a whole heckuva lot of it?  It's a 2009 so I would think that it'll remain good for at least another year or two?

But ~ I'm not complaining.  This is deliciously refreshing wine.  Like Tiffany so eloquently put it, "... a perfect everyday wine to keep on hand."  If you like Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir you're not going to regret a Garnacha.  Garnacha is to Spain what Carménère is to Argentina and Shiraz is to Australia.  It's the perfect grape for it's place, an optimum varietal and terroir match.  If you're lucky enough to live near Eat More Produce, you'd better get down there quick before we return!

Hi-dee hi-dee free-wine-tastes-mighty-fine-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment