Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Tiffany's Green Smoothie

Friday, February 11, 2011

Tiffany's Green Smoothie

Good morning all!

NOTE:  This blog subject has been updated on 29APR2011 under new entry entitled, "Tiffany's Green Smoothie - Updated and Revisited".

I was thinking to myself yesterday, "What one recipe or thing that Tiffany and I do prompts the most questions?"  Absolutely and without a doubt ~ Tiffany's green smoothie!  "What's in it?"  "Yuck!"  "Doesn't it taste horrible?"  "Can you notice a difference?"

Glass for Tiffany, glass for Chucky, and bowl for The Seed

Well ladies and gents, I hope to answer these questions and more with today's blog post!  Man, ya'll are a lucky bunch 'o folk!  I had to twist her arm for the updated recipe but Tiffany reluctantly agreed to share.

Hemp seed, flax, enzyme, chia, vinegar, Truvia and nutritional yeast flakes

Ingredients (2 servings):
  • 4 enzyme pills
  • 3 Tablespoon Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoon cold milled ground flax seed (note that we use cold milled instead of overly processed flax seed)
  • 1 Tablespoon hemp seed
  • 3 Tablespoon chia seed (pre-soaked for a couple of hours to maximize full nutritional value)
  • 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
  • 2 packet Truvia natural sweetner
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 fresh kale leaves (including stems)
  • 2 fresh collard green leaves (including stems)
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • water, as needed to aid in thorough blending
  • ice cubes, as desired
Place all ingredients into Blendtec (or Vita-Mix) except water and ice cubes.  Add sufficient quantity of water necessary to facilitate fluid blending.  Add ice cubes to provide smoothie texture.  Blend as instructed based on your blending device.

Hint:  You can pre-cut, dice and freeze your fresh bananas to substitute for some of the ice cubes above.

Nothing but healthy stuff ready to roll

Warning:  If you're not using a "power blender" such as a Blendtec or Vita-Mix, please take extra precaution.  I would suggest not including vegetable stems, pre-grind seeds in small coffee grinder, pre-crush the enzyme pills using a pestle and mortar, and using crushed ice.  Please be aware that a "power blender" is capable of blending materials down to a cellular level resulting in a very digestible form of food.

How does it taste?  In our opinions, "Fantastic!"  The predominant taste is the banana.  Tiffany and I have found that when we substitute grapes in place of the banana it takes on a mixed berry taste.  The secret is using a proportion of fruit that provides the flavor but not too much such that you have a sugar-laden fruit smoothie.  Health is the target here folks.  If I want a naturally sugar laden "fruit drink" I would go to Starbucks and order a fruit smoothie.  After doing this on a regular basis, I would then make an appointment with my physician to obtain my diabetic diagnosis.  "The sugars in fruit is still sugar, my friends!"

My goal isn't to dramatically elevate my blood sugar levels and train myself to be a lifelong diabetic.  Instead, I want wholesome natural nutrients fed directly into my blood system that preclude the use of dehydrated and oxidized pre-manufactured powders, pills, and packaged foods.  "Let my body have the real thang!!!"

The one thing that Tiffany and I almost immediately noticed when she finalized her smoothie recipe?  Energy!  Not an immediate "sugar rush" type energy.  Rather, a day long low glycemic release of iron, minerals, and other nutrition that our bodies had not previously been fed.  That tired late afternoon feeling was amiss.  In addition, when lunchtime arrives we're not as hungry as our bodies had previously been signaling.

Our "power blender"?  Yes ~ Absolutely the #1 kitchen appliance that we now own!

Hi-dee hi-dee have-a-real-smoothie-instead-of-a-sugar-laden-yogurt-and-fruit-smoothie-today-ho my friends!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad it tastes good because quite frankly it does not look too appetising :)Unless I think of it as the Shamrock Shake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I dunno what I would think if it did not look like the ingredients from which it was created (kale, spinach and collard greens).

    But, I shall admit that it's definitely green. I guess I grew up knowing that things that are good for you usually don't look all of that appetizing.

    On a good note... If I were at a party and sat my smoothie down and walked away. When I returned later in the evening it would still be there?

    You should see Tiffany's Green Smoothie when she substitutes red grapes for the bananas or includes some raw red beet!

    ReplyDelete