Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Chucky's Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chucky's Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms

"All mushrooms are edible - once."
 - Author Unknown

Hi everybody!   May today be the absolute best Tuesday that you experience this week!

Chucky's Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms

Umm... Fungus!  Who doesn't simply love fungus?  Whether man-made Quorn products, truffles or mushrooms; you've got to love 'em.  "What?"  "Don't like mushrooms?"  That's okay because I've been called weird for loving tofu.

I decided to make some stuffed mushrooms over this past weekend.  I perused several recipes but none to my particular fancy.  I wanted simple and healthy with a dash of tasty tossed in.  So I decided to whip up my own concoction.  Let's call my recipe Chucky's Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms.

Stuffed mushrooms ready to finish up on the grill.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 16 ounces (approx 18) button mushroom
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, make certain to rinse first
  • 1/4 cup TVP (optional)
  • 1-1/4 cup vegan-based broth (1 cup if not using TVP)
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • Spices, your choice (optional)  <-- I used a pinch of rosemary
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Brush mushrooms clean and break stems from caps.  Set stems aside.
  2. Bring quinoa and TVP (optional) to boil in vegan-based broth.  Cover, remove from heat and allow to rest.
  3. Place mushroom caps upside down inside aluminum baking pan on grill.  Cook on high for approximately 10 minutes until caps begin to sweat.  Set aside to cool.
  4. In the meantime, finely chop the mushroom stems.  Using non-stick spray oil, saute chopped mushroom stems, diced onion and minced garlic.
  5. Mix sauteed vegetables with quinoa, salt & pepper to taste and allow to cool.
  6. Using soup spoons, generously pack and stuff mushroom until all mix is used.
  7. Return to aluminum baking pan and grill for approximately 15 additional minutes.
  8. Remove and serve.
ADDENDUM 10AUG2011 - Sprinkle some low sodium soy sauce onto the mushrooms before slicing and eating!  Yum-yum.

And how were they?  Tiffany and I like them.  They met all of my criteria:  simple to make, healthy on the waistline, and tasty on the palate.  But of course, I would be biased.  If this recipe isn't your cup of tea then maybe it will provide a clue on how you can create your own version.

On Sunday night Tiffany and I found ourselves eating simply a bowl of soup and two stuffed mushrooms as our dinner.  Delicious!  Check out the low calories.

Nutrition per stuffed mushroom cap.

Hi-dee hi-dee why-not-make-a-batch-of-stuffed-mushrooms-yourself-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment