Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Rocca Felice Barbera d'Alba Superiore 2006

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wine Tasting - Rocca Felice Barbera d'Alba Superiore 2006

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever."

Salutations and well wishes at you my friend.  May you have a day filled with all types of eco- friendly events and may the Earth that you leave behind be cleaner that the Earth which you encounter today.

Goodie, goodie gum drop!  Tiffany pulled an Italian red wine from the deep recesses of the wine cabinet.  Not only this but a bottle purchased three years ago and a bottle from my favorite wine region in the world… Piedmont, Italy.  You can simply sign me “happy”.  Er… No, not happy.  How does totally elated sound?

Chucky's Point Score:  92
Tiffany's Point Score:  92

Rocca Felice Barbera d'Alba Superiore 2006

Appellation:  Piedmont, Italy
Grape Varietal(s):  100% Barbera
Price:  $14.99 at Total Wines & More on April 2009
Vintage: 2006
Producer:  Rocca Felice
Alcohol:  13.5%

Tasting notes as follows.

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "Deep dark red cherry slathers my palate.  If I close my eyes I find myself in Piedmont heaven!  Stark tannins lead to a harmoniously balanced red wine.  Wow!"

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "Bouquet bursting with dark fruits delivers on palate with a very smooth elegant finish!  What a steal of a deal.  This could easily pass for a $40.00 bottle!  Piedmont comes through for us once again!  Love it!"

From the bottle's label:

Superiore – Wine mad with the Barbera grapes.  Deep ruby red colour.  Dry and mellow taste.

From the vintner's web site:


Once again these independent reviews have Tiffany and Chucky closely rating this wine.  We each review the wine without discussion and without monitoring each other and then discuss what we’ve each written.  It amazes us how alike we are.  We may use different words but they usually speak the same thing.

I honestly cannot remember a prior instance where we’ve both given the same wine identical marks in all five taste categories:  Nose Intensity, Flavor Intensity, Flavor Characteristics, Balance and Length.  Our totals might have matched in the past but I don’t believe they totaled for the same reasons.  Amazing.  Simply amazing.  As was this particular selection.  Elegant, soothing and bold.  The terroir of Piedmont flourishes with each sip.  I cannot wait to finish this wine with another night’s meal.

Note:  Yes.  Chucky is not capable of adding up numbers.  Count his Wine Tasting Sheet total yourself.

Hi-dee hi-dee Chucky-and-Tiffany-want-to-move-to-Piedmont-Italy-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment