Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Tomato, Cabbage & Onion Soup

Friday, June 10, 2011

Tomato, Cabbage & Onion Soup

"Idealist:  One who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup."
 - Henry Louis Mencken

A cup and a half of my sincerest wishes your way my friend!  I toast you with a smile.

Today's blog?  When Tiffany & I visited Wrap Planet this past weekend we enjoyed a most delicious Tomato, Cabbage and Onion Soup.  Yes... You guessed it.  Tiffany and I looked at one another after our first delicious sips and almost in unison asked, "Why can't we make this soup at home?"

Tomato, Cabbage & Onion Soup

No, we did not dare ask a chef for her recipe.  We will be back for more of her soup at a later date.  However, knowing basically what was in this soup we decided to attempt our own version.  We wanted something healthy and low-calorie in our lunches today.

Ready to blend onion, cabbage, V-8, jalapeno & spices

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 head cabbage
  • 1 cup grilled onion
  • 1 cup roasted tomato
  • 2 cans (11 oz total) V-8 juice
  • 1 Tbsp spice blend of choice
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper
  • Salt & pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Blend grilled onion, cabbage, jalapeno, spices and V-8 juice until smooth.
  2. Stir in crushed roasted tomato.
  3. Add salt & pepper to taste.  Add additional spices, if necessary.
NOTE:

    Ready to add crushed grilled tomato

    The verdict for our first attempt?  Not too shabby.  Now that the flavors have had a chance to meld overnight, I can't wait until lunchtime.  Pure veggie based and I know the source of my ingredients as I selected them, chopped them, and/or grilled them.

    Hi-dee hi-dee umm-soup-is-sooo-good-ho my friend.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment