Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Funza Pinot Noir 2009

Monday, May 16, 2011

Wine Tasting - Funza Pinot Noir 2009

"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food."
 - W.C. Fields

Greetings everyone!  I am truly happy that you've dropped by my blog.  Thanks!

Tiffany and I had another leisurely Sunday afternoon in the shade from the hot Florida Summer heat sipping wine and savoring fresh veggies 'n fruit.  When scheduling permits, we try to repeat this act every weekend.  This past weekend was no exception.

Sunday afternoon healthy snacking

Chucky's Point Score:  74
Tiffany's Point Score:  81


2009 Frunza Pinot Noir


Appellation:  IG Viile Timisului, Transylvania, Romania
Grape Varietal(s):  Pinot Noir 
Retail Price:  $4.91 (Sam's Club Markdown)
Vintage:  2009
Producer: Cramele Regas
Alcohol:  13.0 %
Calories:  91 per 4-ounce

Tasting sheets as follows.


Tiffany's Review
Chucky's Review
The verdict?  Tiffany and I both agree that Sam's Club is going to have to bite the bullet on this particular wine.  There's absolutely no way possible they'll be able to sell their inventory, at any price.  Sorry Cameron Hughes... You did yourself injustice by making this one of your selections.  To be totally honest, should I ever "Cameron Hughes Selection" on a label I shall be running.

Tiffany & I decanted this selection using a Vinturi for the subsequent glasses.  Although it did improve the taste and brought out more fruit flavor, it did not change this particular selection into a "good" wine.  We both felt the Frunza Pinot Noir so lacking in flavor that we agreed not to gamble on any other Frunza varietal selections currently at our local Sam's Warehouse Club.

The label reads as follows:

"Vin Cu Indicatie Geografica - Viile Timisului

 A Cameron Hughes Selection

 As an American negociant I travel the world searching for wines that deliver remarkable value.  I am proud to present Frunza - a wine deal too good to pass up!  This Pinot Noir is packed with aromas of raspberries, strawberries and violets delivered in a long, soft, lingering finish.  Enjoy with everyone!"

Rarely do I stumble upon a wine that I can definitely state, without any doubts whatsoever, that I do not like.  This, my friend, happens to be one of them.  However, my tastes aren't yours.  I would love to know whether anyone out there has tasted this particular wine and liked it.  How about any Frunza wine and liked it?  How about a "Cameron Hughes Selection" and liked it?  If Tiffany and I simply stumbled upon a bad year instead of a bad wine, please let us know.  I don't want to dissuade anyone from a wine selection simply due to unwarranted circumstances.

Although Sam's Warehouse Club had this wine marked down to $4.91/bottle, Tiffany and I still paid too much.  Be both agreed that even if Sam's Club were to mark it down to as low as $0.50/bottle, we honestly would not buy it.  And because you shouldn't use any wine in cooking that you would not drink, this selection can't be used for cooking either.  We're just lucky and happy that we have only bought but the single bottle. 

Hi-dee hi-dee sometimes-you-simply-get-what-you-paid-for-ho my friends.

2 comments:

  1. I actually thought it was worth the money ($3.91) when paired with a really flavorful pasta topping with smoked sun-dried tomatoes and capers. Certainly not a great wine, but good enough for daily use and in a sangria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Anonymous. Admittedly, Tiffany and I were able to empty the bottle but I stand by my words. But, that's not because I'm right and you're wrong. Instead, it's simply a difference of tastes.

    I appreciate your opinion. If I were to purchase another bottle and try it again, I might just have a different opinion.

    ReplyDelete