Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Mmm... Healthy Chinese for Dinner

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mmm... Healthy Chinese for Dinner

"If life gives you a lemon, make lemonade. However — if life gives you a pickle, you might as well give up, because pickle-ade is disgusting."
 - Clifton J. Gray

Hello everyone!  May your day be both pleasant and positive.

Yum-yum!  Tiffany and I found another simple and delicious recipe to add to our culinary portfolio.  I cannot take credit for this one so I am unable to post the specific recipe.  However, I will provide the link to the miraculous dish.

So... What did Tiffany and Chucky experience for their dinner that has the little fat bubble-headed guy so darned giddy?  We had some leftover "Hot and Sour Asian Cabbage Soup" as made from "The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine" cookbook.  To compliment, we made the "Vegan Tofu 'Egg' Foo Young" recipe from the About.com web site tonight.

No.  It's not as delicious as it looks.  It's even tastier!

Verdict?  Besides being vegan, low sodium, baked (not fried) and simple; the results were incredibly delicious!  Tiffany and I both agree that it's eerily similar to the real thing.  I didn't follow the linked recipe verbatim but instead used what vegetables were convenient in the freezer.  I had a bag mix of sliced carrot, sliced squash (yellow & zucchini), broccoli, and cauliflower.  I also had bag remnants of an Asian stir-fry mix in the freezer.  I also found some residual frozen peas.  And, just for kicks I diced up a red onion to include in our tofu foo young.  Incredible!

We had just a little left-over egg foo young sauce from a recent take-out visit.  Upon eating my tofu foo young I remarked to Tiffany how it reminded me of carnivorous days gone by and eating chicken pot pie.  The gravy sauce, the baked veggies, and the tofu batter reminiscent of a delicate pie crust. 

Other than 2 tablespoons of soy sauce in the entire batch (five huge servings), no additional salt.  Totally vegan and dairy free.   Guess what will be included in our vegan dining repertoire from now on?  Upon eating my tofu foo young I enjoyed my favorite two "esses"... satisfied and stuffed.  Pigging out on delicious healthy vegan food.  Life ain't half bad my friend.

Hi-dee hi-dee all-of-you-egg-foo-young-fans-simply-have-to-try-this-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment