Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Creamy & Greenie Pizza

Friday, January 27, 2012

Creamy & Greenie Pizza

"For the first time ever, overweight people outnumber average people in America.  Doesn't that make overweight the average then?  Last month you were fat, now you're average - Hey, let's get a pizza!"

Greetings!  Here's to a healthy you.  Here's to a healthy me.  Here's to a healthy them.  And here's to a healthy planet!

Now that's what I call dinner!

Mmm... Who doesn't love pizza?  So many endless variations.  Too many dough recipes, sauces and toppings to contemplate a thought of sampling them all.  This to me is probably the hardest part of whipping up what should be one of the simplest meals to make, pizza.  What crust shall I use?  What sauce shall I make?  What toppings shall I use?  Which method shall I bake it?

Okay, the plan?  Store-bought (Publix deli) pizza dough, unique homemade sauce, mixed greens, and topped with ricotta & goat cheese.

Toasting the almonds via skillet.

Sauce ingredients ready to blend.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Pizza dough
  • Sauce (see recipe below)
  • Mixed greens, drained
  • Low-fat ricotta (optional)
  • Goat cheese (optional)

Simply the brand we found and chose.

SAUCE:
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes
  • 2 cherry peppers
  • 1/3 cup almonds, toasted (or roasted)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp spaghetti spice (or oregano, basil, garlic blend)
  • Olive oil
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Allow dough to rise.
  2. As dough rises, open and drain can of mixed greens.
  3. As dough rises, make sauce.  Blend ingredients until smooth adding olive oil until desired consistency has been reached.
  4. Prepare pizza pie and spread sauce evenly.
  5. Carefully lay out mixed greens evenly on top of sauce.
  6. Lay out cheeses (optional).
  7. Bake until done.

Pie topped with sauce.
Sauce topped with drained mixed greens.

If I had to do it over again I would have thawed my frozen ricotta cheese in preparation of this pizza.  But Tiffany and I enjoyed every bite which was not only tasty but relatively healthy (for a pizza).  We ate most of the pie as our dinner with a few slices left-over for lunch on another day.

Hi-dee hi-dee this-pizza-rocks-ho my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment