Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Southwest Garbanzo Pita Sandwich

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Southwest Garbanzo Pita Sandwich

"The plastic on your sandwich really doesn't have to be made to last 50 years."
 - Charles Moore

Hello my friend.  May you be blessed with smiles and positive thoughts the entire day through.

How is the "almost vegan" thing going?  Tiffany and I have lots of dairy products to cycle through but we'll get there.  No-fat Greek yogurt in the fridge and too many frozen wedges of cheese in the freezer.  It's going to be quite a while until we get there but one step at a time, okay?  The good news?  I won't be buying anymore dairy-based products any longer (except when dining out on occasion).  That's a good first move, right?

Garbanzo Pita Sandwich
I decided to make a 1/2 pita sandwich for lunch this past Friday.  A quick something that I had concocted to use up some goat cheese before it spoiled.  Nothing extravagant but quite delicious.  I know, I know... it's not vegan when dairy cheese is utilized.  I was just trying to get rid of some remaining cheese.  Besides, it's not going to be replaced with a dairy product in my refrigerator.

The good news?  My mind is already planning ahead for the vegan version of this Garbanzo Pita sandwich.  I'll share that with you when I've made and tested it.  In the meantime, here is the recipe for a vegetarian version.  If you wish to make it vegan, simply use vegan cheese instead.

Now, doesn't this look tasty?
GARBANZO PITA SANDWICH (vegetarian version)

Serving Size:  1 pita = 2 sandwiches

Ingredients:
  • 1 whole wheat pita bread
  • 1/2 can (7.75 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup fresh salsa
  • 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
Directions:
  1. Mix drained garbanzo beans, salsa, and crumbled cheese in bowl.  Stir well to mix.
  2. While flavors in bowl are melding, heat pita bread in microwave for approximately 20-seconds to warm.
  3. Slice pita bread in half and use butter knife to open (separate) each pita half.
  4. Using half of mixed filling, fill pita half.
  5. Enjoy at room temperature or slightly warm the sandwich prior to eating.
Tiffany and I each had a sandwich on Friday for lunch.  This with a cup of Vegan Posole Soup was incredible!  My goal was, is and continues to be minimally processed food.

Nutrition (serving size = 1/2 pita)
Hi-dee hi-dee make-yourself-a-pita-sandwich-today-ho my friend.

3 comments:

  1. That is one mighty pitta sandwich that I am truly digging. I love the chickpea content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaheen. Yes, chickpeas are somewhat a wonder food. It's amazing that something that tasty can be so good for you. Oh yeah... "The Seed" loves them also! Garbanzo beans are right up there with grilled asparagus for the canine family member.

    Chickpeas are an appetite suppressant and chocked full of fiber. Lots of nutritional information over at The World's Healthiest Foods web site (http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=58).

    Thanks for the feedback and let me know what you think if you make a pita sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chucky - the link is lso most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete