Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Ernst Gouws & Co. Pinotage 2008

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wine Tasting - Ernst Gouws & Co. Pinotage 2008

"Wonderful days don't simply happen.  Usually they're made."

Hello everyone!  It's my sincerest wish that you have nothing short of an exceptional day.  Why exceptional?  Well... why not?

This wasn't a wine sampling.  Well... actually it wasn't a sampling at all since we each had two glasses.  But, this was more of a wine treat.

Chucky's Point Score:  86
Tiffany's Point Score:  92

Ernst Gouws & Co Pinotage 2008

Grape Varietal(s):  100% Pinotage
Price:  $5.00 at Eat More Produce
Vintage:  2008
Producer:  Ernst & Co.
Alcohol:  14.0%

Tasting notes as follows.

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "Absolutely incredible and tasty wine at this price!  It's not a bargain... it's a steal.  The bouquet seems timid and mild but the taste pounces upon you like a vegetarian in a yogurt shop!  A deliciously fruity blend of bold and soft red notes.  Tannins are nicely mild and luscious remnants hang around in my mouth."

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "Wow!  Love, love, love it!  I love the tar and powerful red fruits on bouquet, which really made me want to dive into the glass for a nice swim.  Tannins are perfect with a super smooth bold fruity finish!  Each sip brings out the fruits and smoothness!  I sure hope Chucky will fill up my empty glass!"




From the label:

"For four generations, the Gouws family has been linked to the fine art of wine making.  Just as a fine artwork bears the signature of its creator, so too does our family's flagship wine.  Ernst Gouws & Co will always pay homage to our heritage, saluting the traditions of our forefathers."

This is not a good wine.  This is a great one!  I know that my score seems a little lower than I usually rate the wines but the tallied number is quite misleading.  After it was all said and done and when the bottle was empty, Tiffany and I went back to Eat More Produce.  But, we were too late.  Somebody beat us to the punch.  No more bottles of them gem to be had.  This was a close-out (let's get rid of these last bottles) special.  Andy had gone loco and marked many, many case remnants at $5.00 per bottle.  Lucky Chucky!  Lucky Tiffany!

This Pinotage was delicious and elegant.  It passed an Old World charm onto our palate.  Tiffany and I immediately commented to each other what an under-rated grape varietal this is.  We also concurred that blind taste testing might lead one to believe this to be a $40+ bottle of vino.  Yes my friend... It was that good.

Hi-dee hi-dee I-should-have-bought-more-than-one-bottle-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment