Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Shallot Tomato Flatbread

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shallot Tomato Flatbread

"The first time I tried organic wheat bread, I thought I was chewing on roofing material."
 - Robin Williams

A sprinkling of well wishes to one and all!  May you have a most outstanding Sunday indeed.

With all due respect Mr. Williams but didn't you require heart surgery back in 2009?  I'm truly happy that you've had surgery and are feeling much better now.  I just hope that you've found time to sneak more "roofing material" into your diet.  Psst Mr. Williams... Find another bakery from which to purchase your organic wheat bread, okay?  That being said, just why am I here today and borrowing a moment or two from your life?

Well my friend, your friend Chucky was thinking outside of that culinary box on Saturday.  After sneaking a quick peek into his refrigerator he went into spastic overdrive.  "O-M-G, Tiffany!"  "We've got an old tomato in the fridge and too many shallots sitting on the counter."  "My, oh my..."  "Just what am I going to do with them?"  After all, you and I both know that Chucky absolutely detests wasting food.  When food spoils I feel like that I am tossing out a little part of myself into the compost bin.  Hmm... What can I do with these while maintaining dietary control?

While shopping at Eat More Produce yesterday, Tiffany and I purchased a 4-pack of the most delicious looking flatbread from a local bakery, Old Hearth Bread Company located in Casselberry, Florida.  It looks absolutely delicious and ingredients show:  flour, water, whole wheat flour, garlic powder, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, olive oil, salt, sugar, and yeast.

Okay... We've got lots of shallots, an aging hydroponic tomato, and some newly purchased flatbread.  Let's make a healthy late afternoon snack. Introducing the Shallot Tomato Flatbread.


Shallot Tomato Flatbread

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 piece flatbread
  • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 ripe tomato, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 very small pat of margarine
  • Herb(s) of choice, I used Johnny's Garlic Spread & Seasoning
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Slice tomatoes onto a plate.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle herb(s) to marinate.  Set aside.
  2. Slice shallots thin.  Heat small sauce pan to medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil and small pat of margarine to flavor.  Add shallots and sauté until caramelized.
  3. Layout tomatoes evenly onto flatbread and top with caramelized shallots.
  4. Bake for approximately 7 to 10-minutes careful not to dry out or burn the flatbread.
  5. Slice and serve immediately.
3 thinly slice shallots sautéing in olive oil & margarine.

One sliced tomato marinating in olive oil & herbs.

One flatbread laying on Pizzazz plate.

Ready to place onto the Presto Pizzazz Pizza Oven for 7 to 10 minutes.

Delicious, relative low in calories, and a most wonderful way to salvage tomatoes and shallots.  Wouldn't you agree?  The toppings are limitless as are the spices & herbs that you choose.  I was contemplating Bragg Organic Sprinkle Seasoning or The Spice & Tea Exchange's Vic's Garlic Fix blend.

Hi-dee hi-dee what-do-you-have-in-your-refrigerator-that-needs-saving-ho my friend?

3 comments:

  1. Say it ain't so...Chucky stores fresh tomatoes in the 'fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous! Who says that you can't teach an out-of-work 4-foot plastic doll from Hollywood a new trick? I did not realize that refrigeration is a "last resort" storage option. I suppose that living in Florida all of my life led me to think that anything left on the counter will rot due to the heat.

    I validated your input at using http://www.whfoods.com/. Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like, this is the kind of grub I like making myself when the husband is away and guess what he is away! I will have to use pitta bread as my base though. Thanks for sharing.

    I agree with anon - tomatoes should not be in the fridge either, but to each his or her own.

    ReplyDelete