Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Making Experiments into Meals

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Making Experiments into Meals

"When those waiters ask me if I want some fresh ground pepper, I ask if they have any aged pepper."
  - Andy Rooney

I send out robust salutations to everyone!

Today's blog?  It's funny I ask.  Today's blog deals with a less than expected vegetarian experiment turned into a rather nice post-facto meal.  What was supposed to be a grilled portabello mushroom post gets postponed until Chucky improves the recipe.  Trust me, you can thank me for this.  <hehe>

So... what does the portabello catastrophe have to do with today's blog?  What was edible but lacked perfection was included as part of another most delicious dish.  Let's call my earlier experiment "The Chucky Portabello Challenge".

My vegetable stuffed portabello caps on the grill

I took it apart and rebuilt it better.  This brings me to the purpose of today's blog.  Just because a dish isn't perfect doesn't necessarily mean it should be tossed out into the compose bin.  I simply took the experiment (see picture above) and used it to make a most wonderful dish (see pictures below).

Quinoa & Spinach ingredients

Grilled veggies, sliced spinach and sliced grilled portabello

Serving Size:  2

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 to 4 roasted garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and roasted garlic.  As onion is cooking mash garlic cloves into small pieces.  Cook until onion is tender and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
  2. Add quinoa to skillet and cook.  Stir frequently until quinoa begins to turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
  3. Add broth and red pepper flakes.  Bring to boil then cover.  Reduce heat to simmer, about 13 minutes.
  4. Stir in fresh chopped spinach and salt & pepper to taste.  Continue cooking uncovered until all liquid has been absorbed, about 3 to 5 more minutes.
  5. Remove from heat, garnish and serve.
Cooking Quinoa & Spinach on stove

Quinoa & Spinach topped with grilled veggies & portabello


Trust me... This was absolutely delicious.  What a lunch!  I can still celebrate my taste bud memory as I write this blog.  You can pretty much use the Quinoa & Spinach recipe as the basis for any test recipe re-coop (or by itself).

Fact:  Did you know that quinoa is not a grain.  It's a seed.  Not only is it high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. An excellent healthy source of protein for a vegan or vegetarian diet.  Truly tasty with a somewhat couscous texture.

Hi-dee hi-dee can-my-flawed-dish-be-saved-ho my friend.

1 comment: