Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Dinner With Friends

Monday, December 6, 2010

Dinner With Friends


Tiffany and I had a most enjoyable dinner last night meeting friends at a local German restaurant, Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe'.  I cannot but admit that our friend's selection of schnitzel looked truly delicious.  However, true to our new lifestyle, we found some delicious alternatives on their menu.



Tiffany and I shared a cheese & fruit plate along with Veggie Spätzle Toss.  I honestly did not know what to expect other than what we ordered was defined as a noodle dish with vegetables.  Neither Tiffany nor I had actually patronized an authentic German gasthaus-styled restaurant before.  We had a most wonderful time and shall soon return!


Traditional German Spätzle noodles

The Veggie Spätzle Toss?  I don't know what to tell you, actually.  I know that I keep reusing the phrase "stupendous" and "outstanding" since becoming vegetarian but there's no better way to describe it.  Perhaps "heavenly"?

As soon as our hostess Amber presented our dish, I knew that my culinary glands would soon be swooned with my first bite!  Spätzle is a German egg noodle dish.  Quite similar to egg noodles that my West Virginian Grandmother used to make, only tiny in size.  The noodles reminded me of gigantic orzo pasta in shape.

The dish was in a traditional peppered butter sauce with tomatoes, mushrooms, and artichoke.  I supposed you could almost describe it a the German version of Pasta Sostanza?


The friends around the table, the establishment's ambiance, the menu selection, the food, the beer, and live music exalted the requirement that Tiffany and I return soon!

The beers?  I had 1/2-liter of Köstritzer Schwarzbier (dark dopplebock)  and 1/2-liter of Weinhenstephaner Korbinian (dark lager) beer on tap.  Tiffany elected to drink two 1/2-liters of slightly less dark Spaten Oktoberfest (amber festbeir).

Hi-dee hi-dee the-vegetarian-food-keeps-getting-better-n-better-ho my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment