"I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other..."
- Leonardo da Vinci
May you be blessed with a truly outstanding day. Simply remember that you are the biggest part of making it so.
I hope this day finds everyone happy, content and loving life to its fullest. Every day on our planet is limited so why not attempt to make the best out each of them? You may not have perfect day but who is to say what a perfect day truly is? Something as simple as holding a door opened for an elderly person might be all that it actually takes. An exchanged smile has never been proven to do much harm either. Some simple things to ponder.
Oh? Today's blog? How about the basis for a killer tofu quiche?
- Approximately 12 oz firm tofu (I used 3 of 4 tofu blocks in package)
- 2 eggs or egg substitute
- 3/4 cup good quality shredded cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped basil
- Salt and pepper
- 16 oz chopped vegetable(s) of choice: asparagus, broccoli, mushroom, onion, squash, zucchini, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend tofu and egg until smooth. Stir in shredded cheese, chopped basil and salt & pepper to taste.
- In skillet, grill your vegetable(s) of choice. Cook until tender and add to tofu/egg/cheese mixture.
- Spray non-stick vegetable oil into ramekins or quiche dish(es). Pour in mixture. Place dishes onto baking sheet in case of accidental overflow while baking. Bake approximately 20 minutes until slightly brown and firm. Cook longer if not fully set until done.
Tiffany and I made a batch that filled four ramekins. In ours we used mushrooms, green onion and asparagus. However, as noted above, you can pretty much use whatever is handy and available. How about artichoke heart? Zucchini? Squash? Onion? The possibilities go on and on.
I like these because they're without crust. A relatively healthy dish that is packed with taste. So easy and so delicious. The healthier your ingredient choices (low-fat cheese, light tofu, etc.) the healthier the result.
Hi-dee hi-dee quiche-cannot-be-beat-ho my friend.