Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Yum-Yum Snackin'

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Yum-Yum Snackin'

"I'm at the age where food has taken the place of sex. In fact, I just had a mirror put over my kitchen table."
 - Rodney Dangerfield

Greets!  As you go through this day, remember that yesterday was the day that you thought could not get any better.  Prove yourself wrong my friend.

Choosing better snack choices

What's on Chucky's little plastic bubble mind today?  How about healthy snacking and the evolution of a maturing vegetarian.  Really deep stuff, huh?  Not really.  Just a few fluff words and a couple of pretty pictures.  Yeah... That oughta do it.  <grin>

A year or so ago it was meats, cheeses, greasy potato chips and just about anything to be had in bulk at either Costco or Sam's warehouse clubs.  The bigger the bag, the better.  And, guess what?  I did a pretty good job at cleaning the bags empty.

Then came the beginning of our vegetarian life (October 1st, 2010).  Yes.  Things got better.  Away went the animal flesh products. I thought that I was eating better.  I suppose that I was.  But ~ Why no weight loss?  I made the cardinal vegetarian newbie sin.  I simply substituted starchy foods for previous meat proteins.  Yes, less chemical, hormones, steroids, and other man-induced substance in my food chain but not healthy food to eat in bulk.

Now comes the current attack to the waistline.  Less cheese.  Less chips and processed grain-based product.  What are my snacks of choice today?  Pickled veggies, fresh veggies (baby carrot, celery, and snap pea), fresh fruit (blackberry, strawberry, and grape), seeds (pumpkin, edamame, and sunflower), peppers (Greek, jalapeno, and sliced banana pepper), tabbouleh, unsweetened whole grain snacks (Weet-Bix and shredded wheat pieces), etc.  You can see where I am going.

My goal is natural, raw, organic, unprocessed and naturally sweetened snack choices.  And, of course, all in strict moderation.  Watch and monitor the calories, saturated fats, and cholesterol.  Also reduce the quantity and allow the highly complex carbohydrates to work their low glycemic magic.

Nope.  Not ashamed to be eating this stuff.

And how goes it so far?  I've only recently wised up and began smelling the goodness.  Let's give it some time but I'm banking on myself succeeding, naturally.

Hi-dee hi-dee am-I-choosing-the-best-snack-choice-which-I-eat-ho my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment