Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Odfjell Armador Carménère 2010

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wine Tasting - Odfjell Armador Carménère 2010


"I’m only drinking (white) wine because I’m on a diet and I don’t eat."

While walking around Eat More Produce, Andy announced to Tiffany and I, “I’ve got a new Carménère."  "It’s over there (pointing toward the wine room) and it’s most excellent.” First, I was absolutely impressed that Andy remembered us as the Carménère drinkers.  Second, I had already spotted the new wine gem when I perused the wine room.  Every day is different at Eat More Produce.  They’re not a wine warehouse and they turn (sell) an awful lot of wine.  When it’s on the shelves, it may never be found on their shelves again once it’s sold out.

I love this!  Each visit to Eat More Produce is like opening oysters.  What pearls are sitting in that wine room this day?  As tempting as it may be to purchase our wine by the case, I simply love the variety too much to tie my hands at two or three basic wines.  Life is too short to stop seeking variety vino extraordinaire.
      
Chucky's Point Score:  89
Tiffany's Point Score:  91

Odjfell Armador Carménère 2010

Appellation:  Maipo Valley, Chile
Grape Varietal(s):  100% Carménère
Rating:  87 points by Josh Raynolds, May/June '11
Price:  $11.99 at Eat More Produce, February 2012
Vintage: 2010
Alcohol:  13.5%

Tasting notes as follows.

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "Oh, I love me some Carménère!  Deep dark red fruit tastes elegantly cover my palate.  Incredible tannins smooth to a luscious and lingering after taste.  Taste matches the aromas ~ nice!  It’s very well balanced.  I want to do a triple somersault swan dive into my glass!  Can I have more please?"

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "Wow!  Another gem of a Carmenere!  The dark fruits and herbs on the nose definitely deliver on the palate.  The dark fruits and eucalyptus compliments each other nicely!  Very smooth fruity wine!  Can’t wait for my second glass and the third!"

From the vintner's web site

From the label:

In the bygone days of the sail ships, wine provided a safe drink for long voyages.  Today Dan Odjfell, a Norwegian Armador (shipowner), perpetuates this legacy by making wines to sail from Chile across the seven seas.

Intensive aromas of black fruits and spicy notes, followed by licorice. The palate is long and refreshing with soft, ripe fruit and tannins a touch of spices.

Vintner's product sheet

Outstanding.  Simply outstanding.  Andy and Troy at Eat More Produce are practically giving the wine away at these prices. 

Tiffany and I were drinking the same wine, experiencing the same tastes, and enjoying the same characteristics with this Carménère.  We stared at each other dumbfounded as we shared our review sheets. This time I go first with my tasting sheet. Then Tiffany goes and we alternate back and forth.  We taste our wine, take our notes, and share our experience.  Our tasting notes validate our observations and re-affirm our individual and mutual analyses.

This is a superb Carménère worthy double that which we paid.  Psst… Please don’t tell Andy or Troy at Eat More Produce, okay? 

Hi-dee hi-dee big-bold-fruit-forward-red-wines-rock-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment