Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Santa Rita 120 Syrah 2008

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wine Tasting - Santa Rita 120 Syrah 2008

 Greetings and salutations to one and all!  No-one excluded, naturally.

Uh-huh... another wine tasting and review.  As long as there are grapes.  As long as they keep fermenting it into wine.  As long as they keep bottling and selling it.  As long as my wallet can afford it.  Tiffany and I will continue to enjoy this simple pleasure of life.  A most generous gift from our Mother Earth and Cousin Nature.

Point Score A:  90
Point Score B:  85

2008 Santa Rita 120 Syrah

Appellation:  Central Valley, Chile
Grape Varietal(s):  Syrah
Retail Price:  $5.00
Vintage:  2008
Producer:  Vina Santa Rita S.A.
Alcohol:  13.5%
Calories:  94 per 4-ounce

Tasting sheets as follows.

Review A

Review B

Wow!  A 5-point rating difference between Tiffany and I on this one.  We're not certain why but I have a theory.  Although Tiffany could not detect the licorice notes, I found it to be delightfully strong.  Black licorice is one of those things that I love and Tiffany detests.  Perhaps her subconscious recognized what her palate did not?

But this is NOT to imply that I am right and that she is wrong.  Please do not construe this of me.  With wine there is one thing abundantly clear, there is no one correct answer.  Just because I like it, just because Tiffany likes it, just because your cousin Freddy likes it; it doesn't mean you have to like it.  What I taste will NEVER be exactly what you take away from the identical wine.  What another tastes and what another smells means little.  Do you like it?  If you enjoy it, this is all that really matters.

Trust me... A $3.00 bottle of wine can be as delicious as a $30.00 bottle of wine.  If there are more than one of you tasting a wine, I ask a favor.  Take turns and each of you "blind" taste and review the wine.  One person selects, uncorks, and pours the wine.  The other provides their honest and true review without knowing appellation, varietal, age, or price.  Rotate turns doing this and your eyes will be opened wide!  No longer will you or can you judge a wine by it's label, it's vintner, or it's price.

Hi-dee hi-dee take-the-blind-wine-taste-challenge-ho my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment