Sincere salutation to one and all! May the blue birds of happiness egest deep feelings of good upon everyone today!
Tiffany and I had a revelation on Monday morning. Both of us have dined and eaten scrambled tofu dishes at our local vegan & vegetarian restaurants. But, we hadn't a clue how they managed to emulate the real thing (scrambled eggs) so well. Personally, I just assumed that it was some sort of tofu blending, dehydration, and reconstitution process involved which gave it that dead-on texture, taste and appearance.
However, my hypothesis was proven erroneous this morning. Tiffany and I made a spectacular tofu scramble breakfast this morning that would fool even the most veteran scrambled egg aficionado. And... The best thing? It was truly as easy as one-two-three!
1-2-3 EASY TOFU SCRAMBLE
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, for sauteing
- Vegetables, for sauteing (onion, mushroom, pepper, etc.)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced mushroom
- 1/4 cup pepper, chopped
- Other - be creative. What's in the fridge right now?
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Crumble drained tofu into bowl. Add turmeric, curry powder and salt. Hand-toss to mix tofu and spices. Allow to sit for flavors to meld while performing following steps.
- Saute vegetables in olive oil over medium-high heat until translucent. When vegetables are done, pour in crumbled tofu mix and continue cooking for approximately 5-minutes.
- Add chopped tomato and spinach until wilted.
Serve as-is or portion into whole wheat tortilla shells for breakfast burrito. Add salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, etc. as desired.
Hi-dee hi-dee simple-always-seems-best-does-it-not-ho my friend!