Makes about 6 cups
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 clove minced garlic
3 cups water
- 2 cups water
- 2 (5.5 ounce) cans V-8 vegetable juice
- 1 pound package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans undrained diced tomatoes
- 15 to 19 ounce can rinsed garbanzo beans
- 2 tsp each: basil, tumeric and paprika
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 cup uncooked wheat rotini pasta
- 1/4 cup fine TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- Heat oil in pan on medium-high. Stir in onion & garlic. Cook 4 minutes. Add water, vegetables, seasonings and ketchup.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 9 minutes. Add pasta. Simmer an additional 15 minutes.
Per cup (excludes TVP): 148 calories, 6 g protein, 3 g fat, 0.3 g sat fat, 27 g carb, 0 chol, 350 mg sodium, 7 g fiber
Note: Original recipe does not call for TVP. In addition, I added some fresh ground pepper and ground sea salt into my bowl. Yummy!
06NOV2010 Update: We've made our 2nd batch of this soup. Although the first batch was delicious enough to warrant making the second batch, we found an enhancement. Instead of 3 cups of water we substituted 2 cups of water plus 2 (5.5 ounce) cans of V-8. For the second batch I used no salt or ground pepper.