Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wine Tasting - Martin Dry Creek Valley Petite Sirah 2008

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wine Tasting - Martin Dry Creek Valley Petite Sirah 2008

"I think it is a great error to consider a heavy tax on wines as a tax on luxury.  On the contrary, it is a tax on the health of our citizens."

Hello everyone!  I’m hoping that you have nothing short of a truly wonderful day.  This is what I have planned and I encourage everyone to simply join me.

Petite Sirah?  Is that even a recognized grape varietal?  Yes my friend, it is indeed.  It's the offspring of the Sirah (aka Syrah) and Peloursin grape more appropriately called the Durif grape (named after botanist François Durif who discovered this gem varietal).  Until we uncorked this bottle today, I cannot honestly say remember its taste.  The fact that it's related to the Sirah grape tells me that I am in store for a big bold red wine.  Umm!  Let's get started shall we?

Chucky's Point Score:  95
Tiffany's Point Score:  94

Martin Dry Creek Valley Petite Sirah 2008

Grape Varietal(s):  100% Petite Sirah
Price:  $24.99 approximate retail
Vintage: 2008
Alcohol:  15.5%

Tasting notes as follows. 

Chucky's Tasting Sheet

Chucky's Notes:  "Phenomenal dark luscious fruits on the palate gradually perform a crescendo in my mouth.  WOW!  Absolute killer wine.  Very lingering and nice windows.  Perfectly balanced as the taste delivers upon the aroma.  I don't know whether it's the Martin Family Vineyard, the Petite Sirah grapes, or if 2008 was a phenomenal year but this wine is INCREDIBLY delicious!  Love, love, love it!" 

Tiffany's Tasting Sheet

Tiffany's Notes:  "If I could fit into this glass I would dive in!  This delivers a huge punch of super bold dark fruits on bouquet and palate.  Low tannins and bold fruits make this an extremely super smooth wine.  Cannot remember last time I had a Petite Sirah but I'm anxious to sample some more!  Love it.  Love it.  Love it!"

From the label:

Martin Family winery is located in the heart of beautiful Dry Creek Valley.  We hand craft small lots of premium wine utilizing time honored techniques that create the very best the Valley has to offer.  Our Dry Creek Petite Sirah has intense inky black color, robust aromas of ripe cherries and plum and rich, ripe, full black fruit and dark chocolate flavors.  Pair with hearty stews or roasts.  Drink now through 2012.

Shall I call this a 94.5-point rated wine?  It's amazing how closely Tiffany and I rated this vino selection.  In addition, our words and descriptions are eerily close.  One thing for absolute certain, Tiffany and I both LOVE this wine.

It's big.  It's bold.  It's very fruit forward.  A smooth elegant taste delivers an almost perfect balance to the palate.  Each sip retains much delight upon the mouths taste buds moments after initial interaction.  If there is but a single flaw with this wine, it ultimately goes empty.  

Hi-dee hi-dee petite-does-not-necessarily-mean-small-ho my friend.

2 comments:

  1. More to the point, it's the offspring (versus cousin) of Syrah (father) and Peloursin (mother) in a crossing done by Francois Durif in the early 1880s. (A mistake made by many, and just want to keep you and your readers on the best track with Petite Sirah. Please accept this feedback as it was intended... In the best possible light. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Jo. And, yes ~ I readily admit my bad choice of words and accept your feedback as righting a wrong. I would rather have you correct me than simply allowing my mistake to stand.

    Thanks for the feedback and thanks for dropping by! Oh yeah ~ You have a really nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete