Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Red Wine Tasting Sheet (Blank)

Friday, August 26, 2011

Red Wine Tasting Sheet (Blank)

"I'm not dumb.  I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
 - Bill Watterson, cartoonist - Calvin and Hobbes

Hello my fine friend.  Happy Friday!  I was beginning to have my doubts whether this day would arrive but it has.  And, I'm happy that it has.

Chucky & Tiffany’s favorite place in the house!
Chucky looks like he’s had too much to drink?

When monitoring visitor searches to our blog site I've noticed a reoccurring search string.  And what is that you ask?  The search string that I have seen over and over and have been meaning to address is, "wine tasting sheet".

Well... here 'tis.  Today I am sharing the Red Wine Tasting Sheet.  I shall post the White Wine Tasting Sheet at a later date.


How do you use this sheet to rate your own wines?  Here are the basic steps:
  1. Swirl - To open up the wine.
  2. Sniff - Stick your nose into the glass taking big multiple whiffs.
  3. Sip - Take a good long taste and swirl the wine completely over the palate.  After the complexities have taken their course, repeat over and over again.
  4. Each section (Nose Intensity, Flavor Intensity, Flavor Characteristics, Balance, and Length) each has a maximum score.  25 points for Flavor Intensity, 10 points for Flavor Characteristics, and 5 points for all other sections.
  5. Total up your scoring for all five (5) sections.
  6. Add 50 points just to make it a 100 point scale and you'll have your rating.
I do have some suggestions:
  • If more than one of you is scoring a wine, don't discuss or share until everyone is done.  It keeps each person honest and you will be shocked at not only the differences but also the common notes.
  • Don't read the wine label until after you've completed the rating process.  Pre-reading the wine bottle's back label can influence what you smell and taste.  Don't cheat!  Keep it honest.  If you cheat, you are only cheating yourself.
  • You scores are neither right nor wrong.  Just because I like a wine doesn't mean that you're going to like it.  Respect each others opinion and openly share your thoughts.
Hi-dee hi-dee drink-more-rate-more-wine-ho my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment