Hi! I hope that this fine day finds everyone safe and well.
Remember my post about the Firehouse Veggie Sub? I had scheduled Wednesday off from work and it was getting around lunch time. I could have driven a few blocks from the house to Firehouse Subs and purchased a piece of Heaven, the veggie sub. However, I have all of the ingredients and have been trying to save some money (fuel, eating out, etc.). So, why not go ahead and make that sandwich that I have been telling Tiffany about?
|Grilled Veggie Sandwich|
So, you got it! I pulled out the ingredients and ate my lunch with 20-minutes from the time that I began. Luckily, I had previously grilled and frozen green bell pepper, onion and mushrooms. Earlier this morning I had taken a small bag out of the freezer to thaw.
|Sliced iceberg lettuce, baby spinach, onion and tomato|
|Shredded cheese, reduced-fat Vegenaise, and Firehouse Sub hot sauce|
- Healthy whole grain low-calorie bread
- Sliced fresh tomato
- Sliced iceberg lettuce
- Sliced fresh baby spinach
- Sliced onion
- 1 Tbsp Vegenaise, low-fat
- 1 Tbsp thick hot sauce
- Grilled vegetables (sliced bell pepper, sliced onion, sliced mushrooms)
- 1 ounce shredded cheese
- Cast iron skillet
|See steps #7 and #8 below|
- Have previously grilled vegetables (bell pepper, onion and mushroom) thawed on the side.
- Heat cast iron skillet using medium heat
- Spray non-stick cooking spray and lay down bread to slowly toast.
- As bread is toasting in skillet, slice iceberg lettuce, raw baby spinach, tomato and onion and set aside.
- Once bread has toasted remove from skillet and prepare sandwiches on the side.
- Add previously grilled vegetables to skillet to heat.
- As grilled vegetables are heating, spread Vegenaise, hummus, or healthy spread of choice on one slice.
- Top with shredded lettuce, shredded spinach, sliced tomato and onion slices.
- Return to grilled vegetables and segregate into piles (one for one sandwich, etc.).
- Top each pile with shredded cheese, turn off burner, and cover to produce steam for melting.
- Once cheese has melted top sandwich with cheesy hot grilled veggies.
- Splash hot sauce of choice on top and put sandwich together.
- Slice and serve immediately.
|See step #6 above|
|See steps #9 & #10 above|
|See step #10 above|
What did I end up with? Not only is my version much healthier than Firehouse Subs, I actually thought that mine was tastier. But at Firehouse Subs I forgo the mayonnaise and they don't have Vegenaise to offer. My bread has less calories and I know that my veggies were grilled in healthy oils. I don't know which oil(s) Firehouse Sub uses to grill their veggies but can only hope that it's a relatively healthy choice And cheese. I use very little cheese on my sandwich and prefer to allow the Veganaise and hot sauce to make it juicy 'n moist.
|Sliced and ready to share|
Perfection! Absolute perfection! How can good healthy food taste so good? I just realized that I did not become a vegetarian. Instead, I've found tastier and healthier foods! This simply happens to be a vegetarian lifestyle.
Hi-dee hi-dee you-just-know-that-you've-gotta-make-yourself-one-soon-ho my friend.