Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Mock Cuban Sandwich

Friday, April 8, 2011

Mock Cuban Sandwich

Greetings everyone!

Traditional Cuban Sandwich (This is what carnivores eat.)

Sorry.  None of my photographs today.  Instead, I shall simply describe how I tossed together my "mock" Cuban sandwich for lunchtime today.  Before you scream and throw blogosphere items towards my direction, allow me to preface my awareness that Cuban sandwiches are built upon Cuban sub rolls.  I know this.  I simply took the healthy tools at hand to construct my experiment.

Hey!  This won't even be a lengthy blog.  I'm going to make it quick, simple and painless.  "Can this be done Chucky?" 

I took two slices of 45-calorie whole wheat sandwich bread and slathered yellow mustard on one piece and pressed them together to distribute.  I laid three pickles onto one slice, some sliced vegan (almond-based) cheese, and then 1-1/2 slice of Wham (Worthington's meatless ham) on top.  I placed the second slice of bread on top.

When my cast iron skillet became hot, I sprayed Pam cooking spray, and set my sandwich to brown (about 2-minutes).  When it looked about right, I lifted the sandwich, sprayed more Pam, and flipped the sandwich over. 

I grabbed another cast iron pot and set it on top of the sandwich as the second side was browning.  My creation was complete in about 2 additional minutes.  It looked delicious.  Not quite as delicious looking had I used Cuban sandwich rolls, but an appetizing appearance just the same.

How did it taste?  "What?"  "You didn't read the beginning of this blog, did you?"  Remember... It's for lunch today.

After I've tried it, I shall log back on and supply my opinion and review.  "I will."  "I promise."


UPDATE.  Yes, it was very healthy and tasty indeed.  I'll grant you that it wasn't an exact replacement for that carnivorous thing (see picture above) but with a little more work I believe that I can get closer.  I need to change my brand of pickle and utilize more Wham.  The pickles that I had elected to use were of mixed sweet/dill variety.  I needed to use traditional dill pickle instead.  I think that one more slice of Wham or Worthington meatless turkey slice might be right on target.

But, all in all... I enjoyed a most delicious lunch that was low-calorie and contained minimal fats.  Chucky hasn't any regret as he sits here wiping mustard from the corner of his lip.  No animals were harmed during the tasting of this blog entry item.


What have we learned with this blog?  If you crave a pre-vegetarian food, why not think outside of the deli box and attempt to recreate it?  It may not be exactly as you had hoped but successes don't begin without effort and trying.

Hi-dee hi-dee do-not-be-relegated-by-the-status-quo-foods-ho my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment