Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Deliciously Simple

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Deliciously Simple

Hi my fine friends,

Tiffany and I enjoyed a most delicious and simple dinner last night.  We've been attempting to eat somewhat lighter lately.  We needed an ideal that satisfied taste, nutrition, health, simplicity and yet still be calorie-stingy.  We definitely found it last night for dinner!

Lettuce wraps (see Note below)

Several nights ago I used our slow cooker to make some simple wild rice.  Basically, before heading to bed I tossed the following items into the slow cooker:  1/2 cup wild rice, 1-1/3 cup water, 1/4 cup crushed pecan, a few pieces of minced smoked tofu, and 3 tablespoons of a prepared dried tomato bruschetta.  Turned the cooker on low for 8-hours and went into the back of the house to count sheep.  "Hey!  Even though I'm now a vegetarian I'm still allowed to count sheep, aren't I?  It's not as if they are jumping over the fence into a boiling pot of water when I count 'em."

Anyway, back to my delicious dinner ideal.  Tiffany and I simply heated the cooked rice, scooped it into some organic hydroponic-grown lettuce leaves, and picked various sauces to complement the roll-ups.  We used low-sodium soy sauce, Asian sweet sauce, hot sauce, and an orange soy sauce as our sauce choices.  Truly delicious!!!  Outstanding, even.

(L to R)  Lingham's Hot Sauce - Maylasia, Lee Kum Kee Lite Soy Sauce - China, Slap My Sweet Ass and Call Me Sally Sweet Chili Hot Sauce - USA

Between you and I, the Asian sweet sauce provided the absolute perfect complement to the wild brown rice.  Tiffany and I agreed this so.   "Remember.  It's between you and I so keep it hush, okay?"

Oh yeah... When I next make my rice I have decided to forego the tofu and bruschetta.  Instead I plan to use Bragg's seasoning and perhaps include some cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas).  There are simply countless variations that may be had when cooking the rice.  Your kitchen cabinet, pantry, garden and refrigerator are the limit.
 
Note:  The pictures included in this blog were added on 16Apr2011.  For the rice pictured the slow cooker recipe was improved as follows.  1-cup dry wild rice mix, 2-2/3 cup water, 1/2 can rinsed garbanzo beans (chickpeas), 1/4 cup crushed pecan, and 2-1/2 tablespoon McKay's vegetarian chicken seasoning.

Any comments?  Any suggestions?  Any ideals?  Care to share a similar experience?  Please, please do so.

Anywho... I thought that would share this simple ideal with you.  I'll be making more rice again shortly as Tiffany and I have gone goo-goo gaw-gaw over this simple tasty dish.  We had complemented our lettuce wraps with some healthy vegetable & tortillina soup.

Hi-dee hi-dee healthy-bon-apetit-ho my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment