Subscribe to Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian by Email Subscribe in a reader Chucky - The Fat Vegetarian: Wagner's "Die Walküre"

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wagner's "Die Walküre"

"An unalterable and unquestioned law of the musical world required that the German text of French operas sung by Swedish artists should be translated into Italian for the clearer understanding of English-speaking audiences."
  - Edith Wharton

Greetings and salutations to one and all!
'Tis a sad day indeed.  Pardon me while Chucky goes into mourning until October.  Yes... 'Tis true.  The MET - Live in HD concluded their 2010 - 2011 season today with a most extraordinary performance of Wagner's Die Walküre. But my fine friends, what a most spectacular event to close the season!  If you missed it today, you missed a remarkable performance.

Bryn Terfel as Wotar and Deborah Voight as Brünnhilde

As Tiffany has "wine class withdrawals", Chucky too has his "opera withdrawals".  My spirits may only be lifted by fond remembrances of the season and anticipation for the next.

The biggest star of today's performance?  It's my humble opinion that it has to be the set for which credit goes to Robert Lepage.  Where else does a snowfall turn into forest during a production without intermission?  A three dimensional set capable of blending the music, cast and story into a homogeneous event.

Deborah Voight as Brünnhilde

Every single performer in today's opera had both acting skill and vocal acuteness to make every single second count.  Wagner's music score?  What can be said?  "Stupendous!", perhaps?

Cast:

 
 
 
 
 

This was the second opera of four performances making up the Ring.  Dare I attempt a try at my own synopsis?  No.  I don't think I'll try this one. 

Let's just say that you've got mere mortals, gods, goddesses, and everything between.  You've got love, fighting, betrayal, and every human and god-like emotion between.  Action, suspense and a truly wonderful storyline.  You'll be cheering for one character, against another, and perhaps changing your feelings along the way.  In a simply word, how does "Wow" do for a synopsis? It's more than a single opera, it's many.  It's more than a single star or pair of performers, it's many.  There exists a boatload of talent on the stage from the curtain rise to the curtain fall.

If this doesn't entice you or simply doesn't make any sense, how about the official MET synopsis sheet below?  Do yourself a favor and give it a try.  When I watched my first opera, I certainly did not expect what I received.  I've been back again and again since!


Hi-dee hi-dee opera-keeps-getting-better-and-better-ho my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment